IMMEDIATE OPENING FOR WINEMAKER, WILLAMETTE VALLEY
Confidential Posting: Winery is a well established premium producer of award winning Pinot Noir wines in the Willamette Valley, Oregon.
SUMMARY: Winemaker is responsible for the overall leadership, management, direction and coordination of all strategic planning and execution as they relate to all winemaking and winery operations. Winemaker facilitates all aspects of the winemaking process including, crush, vinification, conditioning daily cellar operations record keeping and bottling. The Winemaker will train, supervise and evaluate all production staff, collaborate with owner, vineyard manager and tasting room manager as needed. Winemaker conducts wholesale sales, works with distributors at a national level, as well as assists with retail sales as needed. Furthermore, the winemaker will oversee any sales or purchases of grapes or bulk wine.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in Wine Science, Food Science, Enology, Chemistry or related industry or demonstrated practical experience equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years direct winemaking experience.
- Proven commitment to excellence and high winemaking standards.
- Excellent written and oral skills, good organizational, analytical, planning, presentation, problem solving and project management skills, attention to detail and proficient with relevant systems and software including MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Be able to develop business plan and manage priorities.
- Well-developed leadership skills, ability to supervise, direct and motivate staff and work well with others, including diverse individuals at all organizational levels both inside and outside the company. Spanish language skills a plus.
- Ability to work within established guidelines, as well as recognize the need for and create additional policies and procedures to support winery growth.
- Be able to work seven days a week and long hours at times.
- Lift and/or move more than 50 pounds, frequently required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, stand for long periods, walk, reach with hands and arms and climb up and down stairs and ladders.
- Ability to prospect, negotiate and close grape and bulk wine purchases & sales.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties include, but are not limited to the following,
· BUSINESS – manage budget & oversee winery equipment needs, complete all reporting in a timely manner and maintain winery and bottling records, ordering supplies, file reports with regulatory bodies.
· WINEMAKING - Coordinate and oversee hands-on production of highest quality wines using input and direction from the Owner in keeping with winery’s vision and values, coordinate with owner and vineyard manager to assist in any and all areas of production during harvest season, source additional fruit, oversee lab, develop bottling plans and manage all elements of bottling, participate in R&D of wines and strategize product lines.
· WINERY – Maintain policies and procedures, organization and cleanliness within the winery facility, develop custom crush customers, maintain all equipment, manage inventory, and coordinate with tasting room.
· SALES & PR – Prospect, negotiate and close grape and bulk juice sales as needed, develop wholesale and FOB pipeline, participate in winery events, conduct winery tours, assist in tasting room, represent winery at industry and community events.
· VINEYARD – Collaborate regularly with owner and vineyard manager, other winemakers, vineyard owners, consultants, etc during growing season on viticulture and Biodynamic farming practices, conduct vineyard tours, assist with vineyard farming functions throughout the year.
· TRAINING – maintain ongoing personal winemaking and leadership development, mentor interns and volunteers, participate in industry related groups,
This is a full time position. Salary DOE