Vineyards & Cellars )
Fruition Sciences, a vineyard information company, is seeking vineyard technicians for the 2017 vintage. We are looking for technicians in the Napa/Sonoma, and Walla Walla, WA. While this position is a seasonal internship, we usually provide full-time offers to one or two members of the intern team following harvest.
Fruition is a precision agriculture company which provides the most advanced vineyard-monitoring tools in the industry. Our system and protocols are designed to help winemakers link their fruit maturation with vineyard practices, in order to grow the best fruit quality. Fruit maturation is strongly dependent on climate, irrigation, canopy, soil, nutrients, etc., because of this we offer an expertise on data collection, connecting vineyard data, and visual observations.
To see more of what we do, check us out online at www.fruitionsciences.com
This internship is for someone who….
- Wants to learn a lot in a short amount of time
- Adapts to changing situations with enthusiasm and an open mind
- Communicates well (via text, email, phone, and every other way)
- Appreciates a good sense of humor
- Appreciates a beautiful sunrise
- Likes a challenge
- Is intrigued by a rarely predictable, often surprising “typical workday.” This is NOT your papa’s nine to five.
The goal of your internship will be to assist us in providing vine water use measurements to monitor vine water status according to climatic pressure. We provide many different services throughout the season at many different vineyards. You will be constantly learning and developing new skills. Each day will be different, depending on which project you are working on each day, you will either be working independently, with a group, or in pairs. Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Sap flow installation, maintenance, and repairs
- Weather station maintenance
- Data analysis and quality control
- Recording field observations, data entry, report writing
- Collecting measurements such as:
- Pre-dawn leaf water potential (Napa only-- please note these mean 4AM start times)
- Fruit maturation sampling
- Shoot elongation
- Dualex measurements
- Multiplex measurements
Everyday you will be in direct contact with Fruition team members and be expected to communicate your work well to the team as needed. Each day will be spent visiting a number of clients and performing various tasks. We greatly encourage the application of students with an interest in precision agriculture. French and/or Spanish language skills are a plus, but are not required. Our primary office is in St. Helena, CA, but we have clients all over the west coast. We are looking for technicians in the Napa/Sonoma area, and remote technicians in Paso Robles and Walla Walla, WA.
This is a challenging internship that is both mentally and physically demanding. This is a vineyard internship, so you will be outside; rain or shine. We work with equipment in the field so you will be required to carry heavy materials in the vineyard, and because what we do is so unique, you will need to learn a lot of information in a short period of time and follow specific instructions very carefully with little supervision. Expectations for this internship are extremely high.
- Competitive hourly salary and mileage reimbursement
- Must provide own transportation
- Duration: April through October (or later depending on harvest)
How To Apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and responses to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. In a few words, please explain your education path/ background, why you chose to do these studies.
2. What language(s) do you speak and what is your level?
3. Would you rather work in a team or individually? Why? Please bring examples from your personal experience to illustrate your answer.
4. What is your greatest success at a personal or professional level?
5. Can you provide an example of a time that you have succeeded in a job or project that was unlike anything you had never done before?
6. Would you rather be guided by your management or be autonomous?
7. Please share any other information (particular skills, personal values, past experiences) that could bring some extra value to your candidacy. We listen to you!
For assistance please call 1 866 379 4915